Lecturer: Selim Erol, Fazel Ansari Chaharsoughi
• Background and History of Management Information Systems (MIS)
• Typology and Examples of Management Information Systems (Types of MIS, Application areas of MIS, MIS and the industrial organization)
• Design and Engineering Process of MIS in the context of Cyber-physical Production Systems (Systems/Software Engineering Processes and Methods)
• Architecture of Information Systems (Components (Hard-, Software) of an Information System, Layers)
• Modelling of Management Information Systems – Requirements specification (Informal Requirements Elicitation and Analysis (Interviews, Personas, …), Semi-formal requirements specification techniques (UML use-case modelling, BPMN process modelling, Scenarios))
• Modelling of Management Information Systems – System specification (Database specification techniques (ER, UML class modelling), Application logic specification techniques (Process, Activity modelling))
• User-interface specification techniques (Wireframing, Storyboards, …)
• Management Information System Selection and Evaluation
• Case-studies of MIS
Objectives and competences:
This course aims at introducing the basics of information systems (IS) and software design with a focus on cyber-physical production systems. This covers the theoretical foundations and practical methods for the design and specification of cyber-physical production systems from an information systems perspective. The course aims to close the knowledge gap between classical industrial engineering competencies and information systems design competencies.
Intended learning outcomes:
Knowledge and understanding:
After completing this course, the students are capable of:
• Naming and distinguishing different methodological approaches for information systems design and evaluation.
• Elicitation and specification of requirements for the design of cyber-physical production systems.
• Modelling of cyber-physical production systems from an information systems and engineering perspective.
• Selecting and applying appropriate systems modelling methods and tools according to domain/company/process-specific problems.